Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:47:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Sander <jim@federation.addy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp driver info (which card then?)

> > Linux people avoid the EtherExpress because they think something is
> > wrong with the card.

> Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B cards in FreeBSD

   These cards work well in our many 3.x and 4.x systems.

   But I just built up a Redhat 6.2 box with one, and all seemed to be
working fine, but after a while I started having various problems starting
net services. The box would boot, but often would "hang" indefinitely when
"Starting eth0" - requiring a hard reboot. I swapped to another EE-Pro
NIC, new MB, different RAM, other cables, everything, but no change.

   After I switched to a linksys NIC, voila- everything worked without a
problem. (so far) Of course the Intel NICs still work perfectly when put
into a spare BSD system. So it's *not* that the cards themselves are
unreliable. Perhaps the drivers controlling them? Perhaps a weird MB/NIC
conflict of some sort?

-=Jim=-