Date:      Thu, 04 Jun 1998 16:58:34 -0400
From:      Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Long Question...:)

Hi there... I'll try to make this short but detailed...:)

We have two lans right now which we need to hook together.  Currently
LAN #1 is our internal lan which has a full class C (no subnetting
YET).  We need to break off 5 IP addresses from our class C (for
easyness we are going to take 8 of them due to overheads of
subnetting).  This new subnet will range from .248 to .255 in range
which is fine (we've moved everything in this range that was in use).

Here come the questions..:)

On the remote network we are using the following:

Server IP Address 		.249
Server Gateway Address 		.53 (the server at our end)
Netmask 			255.255.255.248
Workstation IP's		.250,.251,.252,.253 respecitively

On the workstations, same netmask but gateway of 204.101.15.249 (make
sense?)

On our local server we are using the following:

Server IP Address		.53
Netmask				255.255.255.0
Workstation IP's		range from .1 (Cisco) right up to .225 currently in
use
Gateway				.1

When we changed our netmask on the local server to 255.255.255.248 the
only thing it will see is the remote network (which by the way is
connected via ISDN).

Currently this whole setup is being done on Windows NT but we are
considering doing this on FreeBSD (my personal preference).

Which brings me to another quick question.... the reason for going to NT
currently is that the workstations need to run Wordperfect Suite and
print to a LaserJet 6L (connected to server).  The whole login mechanism
is done via a remote Radius server (on our local LAN).  Therefore we've
added RRAS for NT which allows Radius authentication for logins.

As you can see this whole thing is a tad bit complicated.  I've posted
numerous messages to different mailing lists and have yet to find a
solution yet I know on the other hand it's really not that complicated
(at least on paper...heehehe..).

I know there are errors in the above settings and need some guidance.
Our router is managed by Bell Global (our upstream provider) and they
have said they can add static routes to our Cisco router which will fix
our local netmask problems (we don't want to adjust our local netmask
values).

This whole project is running overdue and I"m lost (I think I've been
staring at the computer screen too long heehehee...)

Thanks very much,

Paul Stewart