Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2012 15:15:01 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        Chris Rees <utisoft@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: huge distfiles policy

=D0=BC=D0=BE=D1=80=D0=BE=D0=B4=D0=BE=D0=B2 <bsam@passap.ru> wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I'm about to commit print/texlive ports (PR/171571). One of it's ports
>> > (print/texlive-texmf) has size approx. 1.4 Gb.
>> >
>> > What is the current policy upon huge ports? Should I restrict someting
>> > to not build at, say, pointyhat? Something else?
>>
>> I believe others have set MANUAL_PACKAGE_BUILD=3D huge though I'm not
>> certain if this is because the distfile is large, or the final package
>> is large (although in this case both are true)
>
> If you do, you should also chose NO_CDROM and disable distfile mirroring
> too!

But, based on the current available storage sizes. what is big enough
for these? And, should they be the same? CDROMs are not getting
bigger, but the size of disks just continue to increase. I don't know
how close to being an issue a 1.4GB distfile is with modern systems.
With multi-terabyte drives, 1.4G is not much space.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com