Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:32:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

> I upgraded my web server to 2.2.5 from 2.2.2-stable, dated sometime in
> July.
>
> Big mistake.
>
> The only update to take place was the make buildworld, make installworld,
> no other configuration files were modified, nor any changes to startup
> scripts, etc.
>
> I now get these weird pauses where everything on the machine just freezes
> for 30-40 seconds, sometimes longer.  NFS is compiled in, but not in use.
>
> The system was a web server, and was happily serving up several hundred
> domains.  Now with the upgrade, I'll be lucky to keep them.  Not good.

You've not had any problems with 2.2.2?  We've been having problems
with 4-5 seconds random hangs on our 2.2.2 webservers, which seems to
occur mostly on static pages.  I've not been able to find any clear
pattern to when this happens; it is completely random, and seems to
have be less often lately (but still happens in 1 of 100 cases or so).

A previous comment to -hackers on this didn't given any reply, so it
doesn't seem to be a common problem - but the problems are present on
a lot of different machines, with almost all-different hardware (I
think all of them have 2940s - but they don't emit any warning/error
messages from the drivers).  I have not been able to reproduce any
delays in ssh or terminal modes on the same machines.

Eivind.