Date:      Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:50:39 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question about file system checks

--------------enig1E9CE1C7244DC37F22202605

Matthew Seaman wrote:
> Ivan Voras wrote:

>> 1. UFS+gjournal looses the least, but it's also the slowest.
>> 2. UFS+SU had no truncated files or files of unexpected length=20
>> (apparently it just looses the file that would end up in this state)
>> 3. XFS and JFS end up with a *huge* number of files that are truncated=
=20
>> or of unexpected length (40%-50%!)
>> 4. In no case has any of the above file systems gone completely=20
>> corrupted or lost any of the files/directories not being updated.
>> 5. ZFS on FreeBSD was the fastest, in the sense of creating the most=20
>> files during this benchmark (though speed was not the target for this =

>> benchmark so this is a low-quality observation), closely followed by=20
>> JFS and XFS.
>> 6. ZFS crashed the kernel at least once.
>>
>=20
> Hmmm.... in many ways a corrupt or truncated file is a worse outcome
> than a completely missing file -- at least if the file has gone away
> you know you've got to do something to fix it.  A damaged file could
> end up silently causing weird behavioural effects and (by the law of
> natural cussedness) it is almost bound not to be tracked down until the=

> day after the last good copy on the backup tapes gets overwritten...
>=20
> How do the different filesystems compare if you total all lost, damaged=

> or truncated files?

The only things that happen are that XFS and JFS get disproportionally=20
bad numbers and that ext3 gets almost identically bad results with=20
UFS+SU. Overall ratios remain approximately the same.

To put this into perspective, for total "bad" files this means that,=20
e.g. UFS+SU created 20000 files, of which 750 were in some way "bad",=20
and ZFS created 46000 files, of which 900 were bad (so percentage is in=20
favour of ZFS). JFS created 43000 files of which 20000 were of wrong=20
size, but only 45 were completely lost. How bad this is depends, of=20
course on what is done with the file system.

A big surprise for me was that Windows' NTFS did very good, though it=20
was the slowest in most other tests (which are smarter and probably use=20
fsync a lot), it managed to create 32000 files and have only 121 "bad"=20
in some way.