Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 18:19:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, doc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/doc/handbook?

> Satoshi Asami writes:
> > Is there a the reason why the html version of the handbook isn't
> > installed by default?  As far as I can tell, the sgml version
> > compiles fine with "sgmlfmt -html".
>
> Because there is no makefile.  I've put together a bsd.sgml.mk
> that I've passed by Rod for approval.  He has not yet commented
> on the latest revision.  I'll probably post it to core in the
> next day or so for general review if I hear nothing (I gather Rod
> is up to his ears in other stuff...).

Please post it to -committers, or to -current, not to -core.

Yes, I am up to me ears in it, only now it is so deep I can even
stick my hand straight up and feel the top any more :-(.

> A primary issue is the current make procedure for /usr/share/doc
> is a little wierd and is somewhat inhospitable to non-troff
> documents.  Specifically, the top level Makefile makes multiple
> passes over the tree, each time with a different value of PRINTER
> which determines the output generated.  This is okay so long as
> all the documents in the tree are generated in the same way.

You have my blessing to kill that ugly hack for the time being and
only product the .ascii versions of the files by default.  If some
one really needs the .ps files they can easily be generated.  We
can then go in and fix the bsd.doc.mk file to handle a list of
output device types at a later date.

> With different sorts of document (e.g. texinfo or sgml), then the
> value of PRINTER becomes a problem.  For example, PRINTER=html
> would cause great confusion for the troff documents.

PRINTER determines output type, not input type.  SRCS determintes
input type.  It should be valid to have multiple types in SRCS for
documents just as you can for a binary (ie, .o, .s, .S, .c, .cc, etc).

> What I think needs to be done is to have the
> bsd.(doc|info|sgml).mk have a built in default list of formats to
> generate and then replace the current toplevel Makefile for
> /usr/share/doc with a standard subdir makefile.  It will make a
> single pass over the tree and generate/install the output formats
> appropriate for each document.

Yes, that is the correct solution.

> This is how I've set up my bsd.sgml.mk.  It currently ignores the
> value of PRINTER, in favor of a FORMATS variable (which can be
> overridden in individual makefiles or on the make command line).
> As it stands with the old bsd.doc.mk, the /usr/src/shar/doc tree
> is done in two passes which means the sgml docs (FAQ and
> handbook) would be installed twice.

:-).  So kill the ugly hack in src/share/doc/Makefile and we can go fix
it in bsd.doc.mk the right way after the fact.