Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 11:29:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      jlrobins@zappa.cs.uncc.edu
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   More info on FreeBSD + AFS

Happy holidays all!

In my efforts to get FreeBSD working side by side with some more traditional
(read expensive) workstations at UNC-Charlotte, I've made some good
progress in integrating the boxes with the existing AFS infrastructure.

It may be a god-awful hack, but it gets them in there seemingly transparent
to the end user.

I've built a few AFS->NFS gateway boxes out of some sparc 2's (this is
as simple as starting up afsd with an additional parameter), NFS exporting
their /afs dirs, and then having the FreeBSD boxes mount their /afs.

Then some shell script transparency to simulate the 'tokens', 'fs', and
'klog' commands. This works well enough for the time being.

Does anyone have a good method for transferring the user's password from
the BSD box to the translator for klog purposes with minimul exposure
without too much ugliness? Would this be a good task for ssh?

Anyway -- though that this may be a stop-gap method for some others
out there.

James

James Robinson                             Phone: (704) 547-4876
Department of Computer Science             FAX:   (704) 547-3516
UNC Charlotte                              email: jlrobins@uncc.edu
Charlotte, NC 28223-0001                   System Administrator