Date:      Sun, 27 May 2012 16:18:57 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [ports] Need help for port which claims to install but doesn't; package installs ok

First, my apologies for previous posts which hijacked an existing thread.
I thought changing the subject line was ok and had forgotten about in-reply-to.

So my apologies for a repost; I've gotten no replies and am not sure others actually
saw / processed it or just ignored because of the bad etiquette.
As my mother told me, I'll never get to eat with the Queen.
Trying to be a good citizen, not always succeeding...

I'm having trouble installing some ports, notably
  devel/libmowgli
  multimedia/libdvdcss
Running on a 4 processor amd64 with 16GB
  "make -v install"
claims to install,
but none of the files which should have been installed are actually there.

I've done:

portsnap fetch
portsnap update
pkgdb -F

portupgrade -irRv libmowgli
  ** None has been installed or upgraded.

cd devel/libmowgli
make distclean
make clean
make -v install
  At this point
    /usr/local/include/libmowgli
      should exist and contain a bunch of .h files; but the dir doesn't even exist
    /usr/local/lib
      should contain a number of libmowgli.* files; but there are none

Deinstalling shows the above headers and libs are not there as expected:
pkg_deinstall -v libmowgli-1.0.0
--->  Deinstalling 'libmowgli-1.0.0'
Change working directory to /usr/local
Delete file /usr/local/include/libmowgli/mowgli.h
pkg_delete: file '/usr/local/include/libmowgli/mowgli.h' doesn't exist
Delete file /usr/local/lib/libmowgli.so
pkg_delete: file '/usr/local/lib/libmowgli.so' doesn't exist
Delete directory /usr/local/include/libmowgli
pkg_delete: file '/usr/local/include/libmowgli' doesn't exist
pkg_delete: unable to completely remove directory '/usr/local/include/libmowgli'
Execute '/sbin/ldconfig -R'
pkg_delete: couldn't entirely delete package `libmowgli-1.0.0'
(perhaps the packing list is incorrectly specified?)
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 571 packages found (-1 +0) (...) done]
--->  Listing the results (+:done / -:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
        + libmowgli-1.0.0
--->  Packages processed: 1 done, 0 ignored, 0 skipped and 0 failed

Assuming everything is clean at this point, doing:

  make distclean
  make clean
  make -v install

still ends up with empty directories.

Portions of the output from "make -v install" which fails:

===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
=> libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2 doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.
=> Attempting to fetch http://distfiles.atheme.org/libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2
libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2                       100% of  103 kB  129 kBps
===>  Extracting for libmowgli-1.0.0
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for libmowgli-1.0.0.tar.bz2.
===>  Patching for libmowgli-1.0.0
===>   libmowgli-1.0.0 depends on executable: gmake - found
===>  Configuring for libmowgli-1.0.0
===>  Building for libmowgli-1.0.0
===>  Installing for libmowgli-1.0.0
===>   Generating temporary packing list
===>  Checking if devel/libmowgli already installed
===>   Running ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
===>   Registering installation for libmowgli-1.0.0

Downloading the tarball and using pkg_add works, at least for libmowgli.
However, there is no package for libdvdcss for amd64 at ftp.freebsd.org,
so I need this to work.

Any hints on what might be wrong, or how to get some expanded output
from the port install process, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Gary