Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:52:32 +0300
From:      "Oleg Semyonov" <os@front.ru>
To:        "Brent Wiese" <brently@bjwcs.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPSec+VPN+ipfw questions

1. I'm using FreeBSD as a gateway+firewall which uses NAT (natd) to connect
internal LAN to the Internet. So, gateway_enable=YES is set because it is
required to use natd.

2. I prefer to use IPSec, and not a PPTP. As I can configure it on W2K using
AD policies, so I don't have to setup it manually using wizards or suchlike.

3. I have a LAN where some machines have to use FreeBSD as gateway to the
Internet, and some - no. All machines are in a common subnet, so physical
route cannot be disabled for those machines. I think there is no problem
here as I can set a VPN transport for some IP/MAC addresses and block all
traffic from others. Note there is no tunnel for subnet - W2K-to-FreeBSD
peer-to-peer only.

The real problem is that I need to look into each IPSec-transported packet
on the gateway machine after it is decrypted to divert it to natd. Also, I'm
using some of counters such as 'count tcp from me 3128 to peer' (Squid
traffic), etc. When all packets from local Squid are tunneled using IPSec
the rule above always shows 0 as packets are encapsulated into esp protocol
before captured by ipfw. And working rule will be 'count esp from me to
peer' which does not give any information about properties of packet (source
IP/port and so on).

So, the question was: how to look into and count (using ipfw) those packets
before they are encrypted by IPSec?

4. racoon is working, and, of course, I don't need the gif interface as I
don't create a tunnel for subnet. The problem I mentioned is that when
traffic flow stops for some time, and then it resumes, racoon or W2K machine
want rekeying, and sometimes there is a long  time delay before  the
rekeying takes place. I read this in FAQs and in fact I see the effect in my
setup.

I agree that some FAQs are not very accurate. All of them recommend to use
only MD5 hash with W2K machines but I really see the SHA1 hash which works.

Can you give some working example of racoon configuration which works fine
with W2K?

Thanks for the answers!
OS