Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:53:29 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Jeje <jeje@jeje.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ad device READ error

Jeje wrote:

> I have a 80Go IDE drive from Maxtor, on a P2B Asus motherboard, with a BIOS
> correctly handling this large disk.
>
> However, when I stress the disk (I mean large I/O), I get a lot of kernel
> errors like this:
>
> Sep 27 12:52:03 balmung /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 3027119
> status=59 error=40
> Sep 27 12:52:13 balmung /kernel: ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> Sep 27 12:52:13 balmung /kernel: ata0: resetting devices .. done
> Sep 27 12:52:13 balmung /kernel: ad0: read interrupt arrived earlyad0: read
> error detected (too) late
> Sep 27 12:52:17 balmung /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 3027119
> status=59 error=40
> Sep 27 12:52:30 balmung last message repeated 3 times
>
> stressing the machine (high cpu load while resetting the device).
>
> Anyone could help ?
>
> I run 4.1.1-STABLE, should I upgrade ?

Shouldn't hurt.

> Thanks
>
> --
> Jerome Fleury
>
> /jeje

I'm surprised a M/B of this vintage supports a drive this big. I've
had cases where the size is correctly detected but the drive just
didn't work correctly. (eg VIA MVP3 + IBM DTLA 75Gb) I upgraded the
M/B. What does the manual say about maximum drive size? Do you have
the latest BIOS?

Normally I would recommend using the drive vendor tool to reduce
the UDMA level to match the M/B. However, it looks like the Maxtor
tool doesn't support this drive (yet) :(

You are using an 80 way cable, aren't you?

Is the error always the same block?

--
ian j hart