Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 01:50:37 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org, ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de, antony@abacus.co.uk, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ARCH flag in new make.conf

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 01:43:23AM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> I think the point is that you can be no more certain that
> Mr. Hartman's problems were *not* caused by setting the -march flag to
> i686 than I can be absolutely certain that they were.  Given no better
> than 50/50 certainty, however, the warning appeared prudent given that
> we're unlikely to know with anything substantially better than 50/50
> on release day and the penalty for being "wrong" is fairly high,
> whereas the penalty for being "right" is no worse than a gratuitous
> warning which scares a few people away from an option which wouldn't
> have saved them anything truly substantial in any case.

I can be confident it is not a dangerous option, having never seen
code failure caused by it desipite extensive use for a long time.
This is not the case with optimizations generally accepted to be
dangerous (like -O2) from which I have seen many failures from on my
own systems.  Given the number of people who use -march with no ill
effects the 50/50 estimate is not very accurate.

Kris

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ

--lrZ03NoBR/3+SXJZ--