Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 13:47:28 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Deleting packages - a newbie question

All right, so I'm not a newbie, but I've been wondering about this for a while.

To delete a package, you can't just do:

   > pkg_delete xcoloredit

you have to know the specific version even if its the only one installed.
So I've been using:

   > pkg_info -Ia | grep xcoloredit
   xcoloredit-1.2      Find colour values by graphical colour mixing
   > pkg_delete xcoloredit-1.2

wishing for the rpm-like feature where if there's only one version, then:

   > pkg_delete xcoloredit

would do the job.

Is there some option permutation of pkg_delete to get the latter form to
work?

If not, I think this would be a handy feature.

Yeah I know, I could just cook a pkg_delete wrapper script to do this, but
as commonplace as this operation would seem to be, I wonder how many folks
would find this useful as standard behavior.

Randall