Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 21:38:21 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Luiz Lins <luigi@vecom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Too many files

Luiz Lins wrote:

>     I have FreeBSD 2.2.6 working with apache and serving a heavy site.
> It has about 2,000 accesses per day.  I compiled the kernel with the
> following options:
> CHILD_MAX=256
> OPEN_MAX=2000
>
> But, for instance, when I type "ls" the system often returns:
> "ls: .: Too many open files in system"

I think in -current you have to set "maxusers" to increase the maximum
number of processes, not sure about 2.2.6. Have you tried putting
something like

maxusers 64

in your kernel config?  (I found that {CHILD,OPEN}_MAX had no effect.)

--
Ben Smithurst
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk

send a blank message to ben+pgp@scientia.demon.co.uk for PGP key