Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 1996 08:12:58 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@iafrica.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possibly smoked my cvs tree :-(

> >If you have some "extra" files in your tree that should not be
> >there at all, CVSup won't remove them.  Like sup, it will only
>
> I presume those extra files are those files not defined by CVS at all ?

Yes, exactly.  For example, suppose you originally maintained your
repository with sup or CTM, and you kept it up-to-date until 6
months ago.  Now you decide to update your repository using CVSup.
Any files in the master repository that were deleted during the
last 6 months (not just moved into the Attic, but totally deleted)
will be left undeleted when you run CVSup.  Since this is your
first run of CVSup, it has no record that those files previously
existed in the repository.  It knows nothing about them, and so it
leaves them alone.  (Maybe one of them is a letter from Mom.)

Normally, files in the master repository don't get totally deleted --
they always remain, either in the Attic or in the live part of the
repository.  But it does happen every now and then.  Usually, it happens
because somebody made a mistake.  E.g., somebody accidentally imports a
bunch of stuff into the wrong place, and then moves it to the right
place or deletes it again.  (Lest anybody misunderstand, committers are
not supposed to do things like that.  Such repairs should be done by
Peter Wemm, or at least cleared with him first.)

I am planning on adding an "exact" mode to CVSup, for dealing with your
kind of situation.  In exact mode, CVSup will do whatever is necessary
in order to make your local repository an exact mirror of the remote
one.  That will include deleting any extraneous files that it finds.

If I can just massage it into working within the limitations of %&#@!*
SOCKS first ... :-(

John