Date:      Tue, 02 Mar 1999 12:05:21 -0500
From:      Phil <ReachMe@Syne-Post.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache?!?!?!?!?

Hmmmmm why can't I find an Apache Mailing List???

2 things here.
    My apache keeps crashing and I don't know why
here's some entries from the error_log

httpd: [Mon Mar  1 20:43:37 1999] [info] mod_unique_id: using ip addr
209.82.39.220
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 20:43:38 1999] [warn] pid file
/usr/local/etc/apache/logs/htt
pd.pid overwritten -- Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 20:43:38 1999] [info] mod_unique_id: using ip addr
209.82.39.220
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 20:43:39 1999] [notice] Apache/1.3.4 (Unix)
configured -- resuming normal operations
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 20:43:39 1999] [info] Server built: Jan 21 1999
13:32:26
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 21:08:20 1999] [info] mod_unique_id: using ip addr
209.82.39.220
httpd: [Mon Mar  1 21:08:21 1999] [crit] (48)Address already in use:
make_sock: could not bind to port 80

Q: why is the PID file being overwritten??

Q: More importantly why is there an unclean shutdown??

Q: I think that the error 'could not bind to port 80' is probably the
real problem. How do I fix it???

Statement: Ok so I had another problem that I believe is related to this
scenario.
    On Feb 15 I had mistake the apache_php pkg for the php_pkg. I was
ecstatic to find the php pkg and so I pkg_add ftp://path/apache_php
So that was bad news because it caused a reinstallation of Apache and
overwrote my original httpd.conf file. So I had to fix everything by
hand, what a drag. I'm sure I missed a couple of things.
    Now when I first tried to start apache I got an error load_module
has a syntax error of something or another. But I found that if I run
httpd -f /path/to/newly/editted/conf/httpd.conf   from the directory
where I installed the pkg it will run fine for about 24 to 36 hours then
it just stops again.
I created a shell script to go into that directory and then execute the
command and then return to the first directory but it doesn't work
either.
Even if I provide the absolute path to the httpd executable and the
absolute path to the httpd.conf file it won't start. I must actually be
in the true directory of the second installation to execute httpd for it
to run.

What I would really like to do is move the second installation to the
path tree of the original installation. But first I would have to
identify which files on the original path and the new path that I need
to keep and which ones I can overwrite on the original.

I can't figure it out. Any help would be most appreciated.

Phil