Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:51:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        nik@blueberry.co.uk (Nik Clayton)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Component check

> Hi,

> Has anyone got any horror stories about the following pieces of kit? I'm
> planning on putting together my next FreeBSD system, and want it to be
> as hassle free as possible. I will be running 2.0.5 initially, with an
> upgrade to 2.1 (or any updated versions) around about Christmas time:

> Motherboard:	ASUS P55TP4XE (I don't anticipate any problems, many of
>                                you on this list have recommended it)
> Cache:		256K Pipeline

Good choice.  I just bought one from Rodney Grimes (thanks, Rod!) and am
very pleased with it.  The mysterious problems I was having with my old
motherboard have mysteriously vanished. :)

> I've seen some comments about pipeline problems with 2.1 recently. Is this
> a generic problem, or just restricted to certain motherboards?

Dunno.

> SCSI control:	ASUS SC200 Fast SCSI-2

Good choice.  I'm happy with mine.

> Graphics:	Diamond Stealth 64 1 Mbyte PCI

Can't comment.  I got the ASUS Trio64 card.

> CD-ROM:		NEX 5xi 6 speed SCSI 2
> Memory:		60ns EDO SIMMs

Can't really go wrong here.