Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 11:37:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      peter@nmti.com (Peter da Silva)
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@nmti.com
Subject:   Re: Gritching about XFree86 and serial port naming

> >Why, oh why, is the CU device for "ttyd0" called "cuaa0" instead of "cuad0"?
> >Or making it ttya0?

> It was to give a unique name when the name is truncated to 2 characters
> for printing by ps, etc.

That I understand. What I don't understand is why you changed:
		tty00 to ttyd0
but:
		cua00 to cuaa0
???

What's wrong with "ttya0" or "cuad0"?

> When did they make sense?  They were never called sio* or ttys*.

Under 386BSD they were.

> `s'
> would have been a bad name anyway since sio is actually the ns(x)xx50
> driver.  This point becomes more important when there are half a dozen
> other Serial IO drivers with different broken naming schemes.

Yes, that's another can of worms I'd like to open at another time. Along
with the broken programs that assume the ttyXX pattern.

> >For 2.1, can we go back to at least making the tty and cua devices have the
> >same identifiers?

> When did they have the same identifiers?  If you say that tty00 and cua00
> have the same identifiers, then I'll say that `0' is not an identifier :-).

Oh, don't be silly. You know what I mean. "00" and "00" for COM1 make sense.
"d0" and "d0" make less sense, but still work. "d0" and "a0" are just plain
weird.

> That would be bogus.  X works with the vanilla POSIX port ttyd0 and
> always has.

Fine. Then the XFree86 setup needs to use that instead of /dev/mouse.

You're looking at it from the point of view of someone who knows what all
this stuff does. I'm dealing with someone who doesn't and wants to learn,
and only comes to me when something's broke. That's good. That's the sort
of people we want to encourage.

All this inconsistency makes it harder.