Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:16:50 +0200
From:      Alson van der Meulen <alm@flutnet.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Install

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:31:46PM +1000, Locky wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just downloaded FreeBSD4.3-stable ISO,
Why not 4.4-RELEASE?
> I'm new to the whole concept of partitioning, etc.
> When I first bought my computer, I had 2 partitions, a C and D drive, both
> contain approx. 3GB
> My C drive contains windows98, and I'm attempting to install to drive D.
> Drive D is 100% empty. I deleted everything from the drive before
> attempting to install.
> How do I figure out which drive is D? I screwed it up last time and almost
> installed it on C.
I assume you have only one harddisk, and two partitions (or slices as
freebsd calls them). Your first partition, that contains win98, is
called 'C:' in windows, and ad0s1 in freebsd (ad0 is first ide hd, ad1
is second hd, s1 means first slice). Your second partition will be
called ad0s2. In the partition editor, delete the second slice, and
create a freebsd slice in the free space. The rest should be pretty
straightforward.

If you've SCSI drives instead of IDE, the disk will be called da0,
da0s1, and so on. If you've more than one harddisk, or something other
that changes the assignment of device names, just watch your dmesg (the
white text you see at boot, pause it by using scroll lock) for lines
like:
ad0: 39266MB <IC35L040AVER07-0> [79780/16/63] at ata0-master tagged
UDMA66
This shows that my 40gb hd is called ad0.

BTW: please post quetions like this to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org,
not freebsd-stable

HTH,
Alson
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:        alson@flutnet.org        <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
You did what to the floppy???