Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:42:00 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        afshin <afshinbsdbox@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: outdoor Wireless-indoor access

On Tuesday 30 December 2003 12:01, afshin wrote:
> Dear Helpers,
> I want to know if there is a solution for wireless
> Network in a 2 KM circle?
> In Other words I want to if the Below Situation would
> work or not:
> Installing an Access Point 802.11b with an omni
> anthena in  20 Meter high from the earth.
> and then I want to know can an indoor wireless LAN
> card 802.11b can access the AP or not.

With the standard built-in antenna, or a card-mounted "rubber ducky" antenna,
not likely.  At that distance, you will need a directed antenna carefully
aimed at the AP.  I've used such a setup across distances up to 7 miles
(about 10 km) with a 24db "fruit basket" antenna and no amplifier.

The good news is the antennas are really cheap.  The bad news is the Low-Loss
coaxial cable you'll need to connect your system to the antennas is very
expensive.

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
wes@softweyr.com                                    http://softweyr.com/