Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:52:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Troy Settle <st@i-plus.net>
Cc:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: wasting ip's on dedicated lines

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Troy Settle wrote:

> Lief,
>
> You can run your connections unnumbered, but this can make it difficult to
> troubleshoot some problems.
>
> Alternatively, you can use public address space (10.*.*.*) for your PtP
> connections.  This will let everything work normally as far as your internal
> stuff goes.  The only side affect would be a strange looking traceroute for
> people outside your network.
>
> If you look around, you'll find that most people do use the /30 for their
> PtP connections.  It's actually considered 100% usage of your IP space, and
> nobody is going to fault you for doing it or ask you to recover that space
> before allocation of additional space.
>
> -Troy

There is no such thing as a netmask for p2p links. Nor is there any need
for them to have any relationship between the near end and the far end
address.

If you used the siemens 'Munich' board (a-la PHK) or a sync card
(e.g. if_sr.c or if_ar.c) and frame relay, you could

do the following: (cheaper too)

[your site] (FreeBSD-current)  (one IP address, taken from your LAN range)

    |  (telco line)
  [telco frame relay or normal switch]
   |                           |
[remote site]              [remote site] Freebsd box (-current)
 (1 local IP address)         (1 local IP address)

where on each side the IP address used is taken from the LAN side
addresses. (PtP links don't need unique addresses only unique REMOTE
addresses. In fact We use the same local ddresson our P2P links as that
machine uses on it's own LAN interface.. thus ifconfig returns the same
address on all interfaces but differnt addresses on the remote ends.
Also the same address on the ehternet interface.

X.X.X.1(ether)[ FBSD ](wan1)X.X.X.1------X.X.A.1(wan)[FBSD](ether)X.X.A.1
              [......](wan1)X.X.X.1------X.X.B.1(wan)[FBSD](ether)X.X.B.1
              [......](wan1)X.X.X.1------X.X.C.1(wan)[FBSD](ether)X.X.C.1
              [......](wan1)X.X.X.1------X.X.D.1(wan)[FBSD](ether)X.X.D.1

You may even be able to set up the Cisco like this but I don't know for
sure.

no but chepp PCs can be got ..
and you use ) ip addresses for the links