Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:03:10 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <ahd@kew.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: bin/28294: dump of vinum based file systems by device name fails

> >  The problem is in vinum itself -- it builds the volume device nodes
wrong,
> >  with an owner group of wheel instead of operator.   This prevents
non-root
> >  members of operator from accessing the drives.
>
> Can you confirm that dump works when you do a chmod?

You don't want to alter the mode of the nodes (chmod), but rather alter the
group (via chown).

In any case, dump works on vinum devices with the altered group.  I'm
looking at my fresh amanda tapes sitting on my desk.

I spotted it by trying a dump and seeing it work (I happened to be root, not
operator). Once that made me realize I did not have a name problem, the
symptoms were consistent with an access problem ... and the chgrp fix
worked.

My workaround is to issue a chgrp command via cron immediately before each
amanda run to override any remake of the nodes at boot.  Tacky, but it
should work until the proper fix goes in.  :-)

-ahd-