Date:      Tue, 1 Jul 2003 00:33:37 -0400
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Samba passwords

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 04:54:33AM +0200, P. U. Kruppa wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Bob Hall wrote:
>
> > samba-2.2.8a
> > FreeBSD 4.8
> >
> > I'm trying to get samba running on my FBSD server. I've done this
> > previously with another server, but I can't seem to get it to
> > work this time. If I turn off password encryption, then I pass
> > all the tests in the DIAGNOSIS file, but Win2k obviously won't
> > allow the connection without encrypted passwords. If I turn
> > encryption on, I pass any test that doesn't involve a password.
> Did you change the registry entry on you win2k machine
> (i.e. did you apply
> /usr/local/share/doc/samba/Registry/Win2000_PlainPassword.reg)?

Thanks for responding, but I need a more secure solution. The point
of setting up a samba password file is to avoid sending passwords in
plain text. I was able to pass encrypted passwords in the earlier
version of Samba. There should be a way of doing it with this version.

What I'm hoping is that the ENCRYPTION file that was dropped from
this port (or this version, whichever) was replaced with another file
that documents how encrypted passwords are currently handled. Since
the sh script mentioned in the ENCRYPTION file has been replaced with
the undocumented make_smbpasswd file, I'm hoping that there actually is
some documentation that explains it all, as the ENCRYPTION file once did.
The documentation included with the port doesn't do the trick, and
the tests in the DIAGNOSIS file seem to indicate that I've got everything
except the encrypted passwords set up correctly. Google hasn't led to
anything, nor has searching the archives.

Alternately, if someone who has set up encrypted passwords successfully
using the old instructions would let me know, that would help also.
Knowing that I'm an idiot would give me a more accurate basis for
proceeding.

Bob Hall