Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:26:01 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: question updating mail/nmh port

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> wrote:

> We definitely have flock(2), so you should try to encourage nmh to use
> it if possible.  This might cause problems for folks whose Mail folders
> are on NFS filesystems, so you might consider making it a Makefile knob
> like NMH_MTS and friends.

[Yes - I was thinking of making it a Makefile knob] But, is using
flock(2) the default mode for the "standard" MTAs?  As, I mentioned,
my cursory glance through the sendmail sources (from
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail on a FreeBSD-3.2 system) seemed to indicate
that sendmail doesn't use flock.  Granted, I didn't do an in-depth
check to see what's really going on in the sendmail sources, it seems
that the out-of-the-box behavior of the MUA ports/packages should
match that of the MTA(s).

Thanx,

Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org