Date:      05 Jan 1999 15:30:51 +0200
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL (was: HEADS UP: Postfix is coming. new uid, gid required.)

Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> writes:

> area.  The way I see it, the decision is whether the GPL'd part of the
> software is indivisible from the rest.  Otherwise you take FreeBSD,

If the GPL'd parts of the FreeBSD base system would be considered
indivisible from FreeBSD, FreeBSD would have to be entirely GPL'd (not
just distributed for free).  Which is not possible, because parts of
FreeBSD have conflicting license terms (source code under a BSD
license cannot be part of a GPL'd product by adding the restrictions
of the GPL, unless it's a variant of the BSD license with the
advertising clause omitted).

So clearly the *BSD projects have decided beforehand that such a broad
interpretation is not valid, otherwise they wouldn't be able to act
legally.

Still, I think the current policy (preference of less restrictive free
software licenses over the GPL) is good.

> including exim, make modifications and sell the result, explicitly
> excluding exim from the part of the software which has been bought
> (``also includes--*free*--exim and all those GNU packages you know and
> love'').

It's not selling that the GPL prohibits, but withholding source code
and placing additional restrictions on distribution.  As long as the
package you sell includes the source code to any GPL'd software
included or you offer to provide source code on request, you're fine.

Distributing the sources along with the binaries is naturally the
easiest, the three year obligation to provide the source code to
anyone who wants it is annoying.  (It can even be reason enough not to
use the GPL voluntarily, I certainly don't want to make promises that
I might not be able to keep.  I also do not want to place additional
restrictions on my freedom to e.g. decide to never touch a computer
again in my life -- not that I would be free to do that in the near
future, anyhow, but in principle.)

> Last September, Stallman was bitching about people like Caldera who
> sell their product and put GNU utilities on the same CD-ROM.  But I

Which should have absolutely nothing to do with the GPL, unless there
are other factors involved.  This is explicitly stated in the GPL.

RMS's critique is often moral rather than legal.