Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 20:36:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: blind

On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> A retired ex programmer (Joe McB.) in Munich has gone blind ...
> Does FreeBSD have any software available to let him work on a Unix box ?

Check the mailing list archives.  I believe the topic came up at
some point in the past, but I only recall the discussion of
theoretical software solutions (plus a sound card) as opposed to
anything concrete, or anything employing specialized speech
hardware.

Hmm.... here is something if you don't mind living in emacs...

http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/emacspeak/emacspeak.html
http://leb.net/blinux/

If you know *what* needs to be done (i.e. what constitutes a
useful screen reader), actually implementing it shouldn't be that
difficult.  It seems to me that it should be possible to hack up
window(1) or GNU screen to communicate with speech synthesis
software or hardware.

-john