Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 01:56:03 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Bhishan Hemrajani <bhishan@fusion.unixfreak.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: largest hd on 3.x-STABLE

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 11:42:01PM -0700, Bhishan Hemrajani wrote:
> I am thinking about purchasing a new hard drive for my FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE
> system. I have seen previous threads which complained about hard drives
> greater than 40.0GB not working with the old wd drivers.
>
> What's the largest hard drive that anyone has not had problems with under
> 3.x-STABLE?

I had to do some magic to make a 9 Gb IDE disk work with the usual
/stand/sysinstall from 3.0-RELEASE but that was not a problem of the wd
drivers, as it was obvious later.  During installation, I created
partitions with the following sizes:

	/	200 Mb
	/var	300 Mb
	/usr	2 Gb

and left the free space of almost 7 Gb, to move my /usr in there later
on, manually.  When I booted, and set the beast up, I created with
disklabel a new label in the 9 Gb partition, and manually moved my /usr
there.  I moved /home/* from the old /usr one directory higher, and now
I have a 2 Gb /home partition mounted, and those 7 Gb that sysinstall
complained about 'partition too big' about, are my new /usr.

I haven't had the chance to play with BSD on a larger disk, though.
So, the largest slice I've succeeded to use so far is 9 Gb, with the
largest disk label that I've successfully created in sysinstall's label
editor (during installation) being something below 7 Gb.

--
"The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older.
Shorter of breath, and one day closer to death."