Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 11:58:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@freebsd.org (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, sef@kithrup.com, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

> >In point of fact, I have already prepared all of vfs_syscalls.c for
> >the lock pushdown from the trap code, as described in my previous
> >post, by making them single-entry/single-exit.  I really don't see
> >why the patches need to be all-or-nothing for you to even consider
> >them in the first place... all that requirement does is make
> >eventual integration more difficult (and thus unlikely).
>
> my words exactly.  Except >I< think that >you< should do the work
> of keep the issues separate rather than me trying to separate them.

With respect, this is much more difficult for those of us who
must do our changes locally and use SUP or CTM to keep up to
date.

Each time I pull an updated tree from my local mirror of the CVS
tree, I must re-merge and re-integrate all of my patches.

What you are asking me to do is to do this for multiple trees
(which I'm perfectly willing to do for logically seperate
structures).

The problem arises for me when, for instance, I want to do work
on something that requires an agregate of multiple patch sets to
allow me to work on yet another thing.

Because my code is locally not under source code control because
of the way the mirroring operates, I have no way of producing a
local source tree with an agregated set of local patches.

Short of manually agregating them into a single tree, and then
we have the problem you describe, where my patches aren't
acceptable to you for seperate consideration.

My motivation in doing these sub-patches is to get an agregate
that I can use locally.  It does me no good to lay out 8 pylons
if I can't use them in combination to build an overpass.  My
motivation is what I build on top of the agregated patches, not
the patches as individual small-scope changes.

---

This is really a tools problem.  We need some way of integrating
CVS trees so that I can locally set a branch tag for each one
of the various small-scope patches, yet still integrate updates
to the untagged branch as incremental updates -- ie: as local
checkin on the unbranched portion of the tree.

Unfortunately, short of rewriting CVS, I don't see an easy way
of achiveing an agregate (my goal) while maintaining seperable
small-scope patches (your goal).

I would be more than happy if you could suggest *anything* to
get around this conflict: it would most certainly result in me
providing the small-scope patches you want, without interfering
with my ability to do my own real work.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org