Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 10:17:15 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Shashi Joshi <shashi@websi.com>
Cc:        Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 -> 3.2 STABLE upgrade changes root password???

Shashi Joshi wrote:

> Thanks all of you guys who responded to my query.
> I heeded to all and here is what I got stuck with once again:
>
> To recap:
>         (All this is about STABLE only)
>         I had 2.2.7 (installed from CD) on a Pentium II 200 MHz.
>         I upgraded it to 2.2.8 with no problems.
>         I CVSuped 3.2 source.
>         I did a make world and it failed (for aout -> elf problem)
>         I did a make aout-to-elf-build. OKAY.
>         I did a make aout-to-elf-install. OKAY.
>         I rebooted. It won't accept any passwd at login: prompt. No errors,
>                 just an icy silence. Every login failed. I figured I had
>                 /bin/tcsh as the default shell for root.
>         I tried to do -s in boot (single user mode) but the 3.2 kernle goes
>                 into "Press RETURN to boot now  or any key to ...."
>                 "Booting in 9 secs" (The counter goes down)
>         Everytime I get into the basic (non single user mode) kernel mde
>                 where you can only do ls, more, reboot, load etc. It won't
>                 go in single user mode.
>         Upon advice, I installed binaries from 2.2.7 CD (The user
>                 distribution mode)
>         I could log in.
>         I made /bin/sh the default shell for root.
>
> NOW:
>         I recompiled 3.2. OKAY.
>         Reboot.
>         It says ld.so failed: bad magic number in /usr/lib/libc.so.3
>         I reinstalled 2.2.7
>         REBUILT the whole world under 2.2.8
>         Upgraded the kernel to 2.2.8 ( as before)
>         Reboot.
>         make aout-to-elf-build again.
>         I have a 1GB /usr partiotin, but it ran over with expanded /usr/obj
>                 (over 450MB and going) So, I have moved /usr/X11, /usr/sup,
>                 /usr/src and /usr/obj to other partition (2GB).
>         I am now going to REBUILD WORLD under 2.2.8. Reboot and again
>                 rebuild 3.2
>         QUESTION: Will it effect the install if /usr/src and /usr/obj are
>                 just links to say /var/USR/src and /var/USR/obj
>                 respectively. I mean will it effect if the actual path
>                 is /var/USR/obj instead of /usr/obj ?
>
>         Does anyone have any words of caution or advice for me?
>                 Yes, I can go get 3.2 CD and get over with it, but I WANT
>                 to be able to upgrade a live system rather than install
>                 it always, since this will be a remote system. Also I have
>                 data in some other partitins that I don't want to lose.

Hi Shashi,

Have you read Nik's manual on "Making the World" your own at
http://www.nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk/FreeBSD/make-world/make-world.html

I went through the transition from 3.1-release to 3.1-stable, which
eventually became 3.2-beta, 3.2-release and then 3.2-stable. I sometimes
have trouble reading e-mail by glossing over things but from where I sit
you aren't finishing the job before you reboot.

The sequence to build a new world as I see it is as follows:
1-  Cvsup the current 3.2-stable.
2-  Read about "-DWANT_AOUT" because the aout files are no longer
created by default. If you have a.out programs, you will probably have
to create the aout files. Then, you can make the world. I prefer a
buildworld followed by an installworld. I time the buildworld.
3-  You have to update /etc, /dev, ... There are massive changes here
from 2.2.8 > 3.2 that have to be addressed. The manual process in Nik's
manual can be replaced by using "mergemaster".
4-  You have to check GENERIC and LINT because these files will be
changed and you will have to redo your specific changes. Then, you
configure, build, and install your kernel. You may have to add
"compat22" and I have seen this being discussed but I don't remember
where. I don't have it in my kernel.
5-  Somewhere in here you need to install new bootblocks. They changed
after 2.2.8 and you have to update them. The floppy upgrade does this
for you.
6-  Now I think you can reboot.

I did a floppy boot and used it to upgrade to 3.1. The aout_to_elf thing
was done for me. I made a massive mistake at this point and cvsup'ed to
current and 4.0-current had problems on my system. I probably should
rephrase that and say I had problems with 4.0-current on my system.
Mergemaster would have probably worked me through this block but I
didn't know about it at the time. I ended up reinstalling 3.1-release
from the CDROM. I basically do my 6 steps everytime I cvsup and build a
new 3.x-stable. There are somethings such as step 5 that you can leave
out but that depends on what you see get changed in the cvsup.

It was taking 3+ hours to do the make world and 4 to 5 hours or more to
make the other changes in Nik's manual. Mergemaster does a side-by-side
and you choose what you want to merge. It tries to change all of the
text files in /etc. That includes the host and passwd files. My system
wasn't fully functional by the time I got to 3.2-beta and they had built
3.2-release before I really figured out what was going on. I didn't know
what was broken. Just that it was broken. It was around a week after
3.2-release was made that 3.2-stable was upgraded and I had a fully
functional system on my computer. Making the changes manually is just
too slow and mergemaster is a wonderful tool. I eventually decided that
the problems I was having were hardware. I have upgraded the system from
a P166 Pentium to a Slot 1 motherboard. I currently have a Celeron 433
in it and a buildworld currently takes 40 minutes and the total job
seems like 1.5 hours from start to finish. When I add creating the aout
files, that will probably increase to around 2 wallclock hours.

The new system provides me with more available time and I can get into
trouble doing other things. The problem is remembering what you did
wrong when you do your next build. I do keep some notes. I have an
active link to Dan's diary in NZ land. I think everyone goes through the
same painfull steps. It is nice to read these stories because you know
you aren't the only one having fun <grin>.

Have a good day,

Kent
--
Kent Stewart