Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:38:07 +0000
From:      Robin Melville <robmel@nadt.org.uk>
To:        webmaster@polaccess.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD and Windows NT...

At 23:43 06/01/98 -0600, Marcin Pasek wrote:
>I know there is a pice of software that will allow file sharing with
>WINDOWS  system but was someone fully sucesfull in setting up such a
>system...

We have around 40 Windows 3.11 & 95 PCs using samba on FreeBSD for all
their files and printing. Works a treat. The only slowcoach is Access in
Office 97 which has dropped to a crawl in comparison with previous versions
(of Access, that is). However, I understand from colleagues using Novell &
NT backends that this is true for them also.

Our main FBSD server handles most of the Windoze stuff, unix shell access
to our curses database, appletalk sharing (using netatalk) and email pop
collection. Runs forever, needs little attention, is very fast.

Highly recommended :)

Robin.

Robin Melville, Addiction & Forensic Information Service
Nottingham Alcohol & Drug Team (Extn. 49178)
Vox: +44 (0)115 952 9478  Fax: +44 (0)115 952 9421
Email: robmel@nadt.org.uk
WWW:   http://www.innotts.co.uk/nadt/