Date:      Wed, 4 Nov 1998 17:02:41 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Viren R. Shah"  <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        Hideki Kobayashi <hidekoba@alles.or.jp>, Rogerio Gatto <gatto@widesoft.com.br>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JIT on FreeBSD

> I ran my application on it:
> without a JIT:
>       17.69 real        16.11 user         0.28 sys
> with a JIT:
>       18.16 real        16.26 user         0.34 sys
>
> It actually took more time. Is this possibly due to me running a
> 2.2.7/AOUT library on a -current/ELF system? or due to the nature of
> the application?

Probably the nature of the appliation.  Since it's effectively
'compiling' the program into native code everytime you run it, if the
program doesn't have much CPU intensive code (as it appears above) *OR*
doesn't run a long time to amortize out the pre-compile, then it won't
help you out much due to the startup overhead.

This is where Sun's much talked about 'Hot-Spot' JIT (sort of) will help
out, since it only JIT's 'bottlenecks' it finds in your code, thus
making the startup and JIT cost alot less.

Nate