Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:07:33 -0600
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Preliminary Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit driver for FreeBSD-current

On Dec 12, 1999 at 11:50:20AM -0800, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> I did coordinate with you- you didn't offer to share any technical
> information with me and seemed to indicate that the driver would have
> trouble being released with source. You also said "I haven't written a
> NetWork driver either". See correspondence below.

Well, I congratulate you for posting private mail to a public list.

Now, if you go back and look at it, I quite clearly said that the
docs are covered under NDA, so of course I can't share any details
with you, unless you're willing to sign an NDA as well.  That's
the way they work, after all.

I also said that I did not anticipate any problems releasing the
driver source, _BUT_ that I did have to get permission first.  I'm
currently waiting on that from Intel.  Given that their own driver
is under a BSD license, I don't think that they will have any
objections.

And no, I haven't written a network driver before, but what's your
point?  All I meant was that I can't produce results inside of one
week, like Bill "maniac network driver writer" Paul; not that my
code would be horrible.  Not that I'm implying yours is, either!

> It is in fact *because* I remember you mentioning that you were doing a
> driver that I didn't just check this into CVS (about 50%- the other 50%
> would be to get some review).

So, how do you want to proceed?  At this point, you have a driver
that you can release, and I don't.  We can either just check yours
into CVS, and then replace it with mine later, or just completely
forget about the one that I have.
--
Jonathan