Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2012 13:09:11 +0200
From:      Victor Balada Diaz <victor@bsdes.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   wpi0: fatal firmware error

Hello,

I'm trying to setup my wireless on FreeBSD 9.0-p3 amd64 and i get the following
error:

wpi0: fatal firmware error

pciconf -lv:

wpi0@pci0:3:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x10518086 chip=0x42228086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x0
0
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection'
    class      = network

Detected as:

wpi0: <Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG> mem 0xfc000000-0xfc000fff irq 17 at device 0.0 on pci3

According to man page is an unknown error uploading the firmware. I've thought
about licensing issues with the firmware. Man page doesn't say anything about
legal framework, so i think it's not needed but still i tried adding to
loader.conf:

legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1

No difference.

I tried unloading and loading the wpifw module as recommended by man page, but even
after destroying all interfaces and putting down wpi0 i still can't unload the
module because it's busy.

rc.conf config:
wlans_wpi0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP ssid testwifi country ES"

wpa_supplicant.conf:
network={
        ssid="testwifi"
        psk="secret"
}

Any ideas on how can i fix this problem?

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

--
La prueba más fehaciente de que existe vida inteligente en otros
planetas, es que no han intentado contactar con nosotros.