Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:17:25 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ronald Wright <rjwright@everett.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modems

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Ronald Wright wrote:

> 'This the first time trying out Freebsd'
> Hello I am Having difficulties installing freebsd. It says it finds
> my modem I thnk. I am not sure. It should be sio1, right? Any way
> it is not set at the factory defaults of com2 2F8, it is set at com4
> 2E8.  I have made the proper changes in the configuration and set it
> to 2E8 and it reports info on sio1 so I assume that everything is o.k.
> Yet later in the installation I try to use it to log on to my ISP for
> an FTP install and it doesn't appear to pick up the phone to dial.

Unless you modify sio1 in UserConfig (-c) to com4's settings, you will
need to move your modem to COM1 or COM2 for FreeBSD's boot floppy to see
it.  You can fix it once your rebuild your kernel.

You might try issuing the command 'set device /dev/cuaa1' before dropping
to 'term' -- ppp has been known to get the wrong serial port.

> Any help would be appreciated, as of now I am copying the
> pub/2.1.6-release/bin directory onto my hard drive keeping the
> dirrectory structure suggested for the floppies c:/bin/bin.aa
> for file bin.aa ect. I hope the bootmanager refered to in the install
> pgm is in there.  If not where would I obtain it.  I would hate to use
> dos's fdisk to set the active partition depending on wich OS I wanted to
> use.

Oops -- you want it under C:\FREEBSD\BIN.

And don't forget the .inf file, it's very important!!

Booteasy should work.