Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 19:14:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        Alexey Koptsevich <kopts@astro.washington.edu>
Cc:        <mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: GRPS

this question can best be answered via inspection :-)

On Mon, 29 Oct 2001, Alexey Koptsevich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am going to purchase GSM mobile phone with GRPS. Will it work with
> FreeBSD (the phone has RS232 connector)? Any software needed for it?

here is my heuristic.

1. does the phone require extra sw installed to work with a windoze box?

this is not a good sign.

2. does the sw do nothing but add a new entry in the serial list?

this is a good sign that counteracts the effects of item 1.

   this is the case with the SprintPCS Wireless Web Connectivity Kit.

   They used to sell the kit for us$95.00, now they sell it for us$55.00.
   sanyo sells the serial cable for my phone for us$50.00

so, if it's just supposed to work without any special installation. than
you should be fine, other than the fact that you will learn alot about
your FreeBSD serial port before you can get hooked up

> Unfortunately, have not found GRPS mentioned in this list...
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life