Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 2000 12:13:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Sean Peck <speck@news1.newsindex.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.3 fork/Exec bug?

:> they connected to
:> server and recieved nothing, yet the server does not register the
:> connection or request for info.  If I run the client independently (not
:> via fork/execlp)  everything works just fine.
:>
:> This code is deployed and operational on BSDi without a problem, so I
:> assume that this is OS related, does anyone know anything about, or can
:> help me with this?
:
:Without some example code to demostrate the problem there's not much
:we can do to address this.
:

    This kinda sounds like a case where the server process has its
    listen descriptor and when it fork/exec's the child it is either
    not setting the close-on-exec flag for the descriptor, or the
    child is not closing the descriptor.  Since this is an exec,
    I'll bet the problem is that the server is not setting the
    close-on-exec flag for the descriptor.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>