Date:      Sun, 31 May 1998 15:33:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        marco@nbnet.nb.ca (Marco Shaw)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching user modes?

Marco Shaw wrote:
> The last time I booted into FreeBSD over 6 months ago, the system would go
> right into multi-user mode.  Today, it's starting up in single user mode.  I
> can mount my CD, but can't mount /usr nor /var.  I get:
>
> /dev/wd0s3f on /usr: Incorrect super block

Well, there's your problem.  You are, as the saying goes, in trouble.

Sounds like a disk/hardware/software error has hosed the superblock.

It's time to try some stuff, starting with an fsck on /dev/rwd0s3f.

the -b option to fsck is interesting; it specifies an alternate
superblock to use for the fsck.  (there's supposed to be one at -b 32).
Somebody else will tell you how to restore the original superblock
from the alternate. (there are many alternates, as it happens.)

On the first pass with fsck, tell it 'no' when it asks if it should
fix things... Take your time and get a feel for what's wrong.

Run an fdisk, just to have a look at your partition table. Could another,
inferior, operating system have hosed that partition?  Look for
strange partitioning, overlapping slices, anything queer.

Examine disklabel output. ANything strange?

> Is my system...'fried'?  I'm too lazy to write more details on a sunny
> Sunday so I hope someone has come across this before.

Anybody who's run unix long enough has seen this turkey, trust me.

What does /var say when you try to mount it? To have two partitions
go south at once is a little strange, and makes me wonder what's really
wrong.

[ an aside to the list:  See why I like small partitions? ]

Dave
--
        DISCLAIMER: If it can be disclaimed, it is.
	DISCLAIMER: In particular, I don't represent any organization.