Date:      Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:57:14 -0500
From:      Alex Kirk <alex@schnarff.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CARP-Like Solution With Machines On Different Networks?

Hello All,

I'm attempting to put a redundant fail-over system in place for a =20
machine that I manage for a non-profit organization of modest budget. =20
For the time being, I'm most interested in having MySQL and HTTP =20
connections roll over to a backup system in the event that the primary =20
machine goes down for some reason, and then return control to the =20
primary box once it returns - nothing particularly fancy.

After doing some research on the matter, it looks like CARP would be a =20
winning solution - but only if the backup system was on the same =20
network segment as the primary box. Given that there's no money to =20
colocate a second backup system at the same facility as the main =20
machine (and protection against failure at the colo facility is one of =20
the primary drivers for the failover setup), however, it looks like =20
CARP wouldn't be useful.

That said, are there any solutions which behave similarly to CARP that =20
I could use for a pair of machines connected solely via the Internet? =20
For now, I'd even be happy if there was some way to simply do TCP =20
port-level proxying, so to speak (i.e. connections come in to a given =20
machine, and are proxied to the main system if it's up, but go to the =20
backup box if not)?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Alex Kirk