Date:      Fri, 28 Aug 2015 13:39:31 -0700
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        'freebsd-arch' <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Supporting cross-debugging vmcores in libkvm

On Friday, August 28, 2015 11:27:05 AM John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote this message on Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 10:56 -0700:
> How will we prevent native only aware apps from getting confused when
> accessing non-native cores?  Will kvm_openfiles fail for non-native
> cores? or will kvm_read fail for non-native cores?

kvm_openfiles() will fail.  kvm_open2() will fail for a non-native core
if a symbol resolving routine is not supplied.

One API question I had is if it would be useful to allow a void * cookie
to be passed to the symbol resolving routine (the same cookie would be
passed to kvm_open2() and stored internally to be passed on each resolution
request).  I think in practice we don't need that level of complexity
though (my kgdb changes did not).

I will need to rebase this to port the arm64 minidump support over, but
I also need people to test this.

--
John Baldwin