Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 1995 20:19:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

> > > Oh great.  One of UNIX's worst abortions, taken to extremes (can you
> > > say "ioctl() is a bogus ``API'' for controlling behavior?"  I thought
> > > so)..

> > Plan 9 doesn't have IOCTL at all. Just about everything is done with open,
> > close, read, and write.

> So how do you do "out of band" operations, like telling a tape
> drive to skip forward to the next mark?

The tape has a "data" and a "control" device. You write commands to the
control device.

You can read all the Plan 9 papers at plan9.att.com, and there's a lot of
very interesting stuff in there. For example, mounts are local to the
process, like current directory and environment variables are for UNIX.
So when a program is running under 8 1/2 it has a set of devices for the
screen and mouse visible. When you run 8 1/2, it opens the *same* devices,
so you can run 8 1/2 in a 8 1/2 window...

One of the devices is /dev/bitblt.

Backups are handled the same way, and you can do things like:

find 1995/07*/sys/src/cmd -name '*.c' | xargs grep -i bug

If you want to work on the system as it was in July 1995, you do:

	bind("1995/0701/sys/src", "/sys/src", REPLACE)