Date:      Mon, 02 Jul 2001 12:10:53 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makeworld on slow machine

> Hm, wait a sec -- since I'm talking about putting /usr/src and
> /usr/obj on a CD and mounting the CD or copying the files to a 2nd,
> distant machine -- why is it an issue if the "clocks are synced"??

If the dest machine's clock is set before the source machine's clock, then make
might get confused with dates on built files in the future.  This may not be
too bad with a plain install, because installworld is _supposed_ to be
read-only in /usr/{src,obj} (tho I have had odd issues in the past).

But clock skew (in particular, system clock set to before source files are
updated in the CVS repository) is a sure-fire way of breaking a build (usually
during the compilation of perl).