Date:      Thu, 12 Jan 2012 13:37:21 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bash 4.2 patch 20

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 18:01:46 +0100
Michael articulated:

> By this road i would like to ask you to upgrade bash 4.1 patch 11 to
> current bash 4.2 patch 20.
>
> It seems bash 4.2 is out for a long time now, please look at:
> ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/
>
> When can we suspect a upgrade to the current bash releases?

The port is maintained by: <obrien@FreeBSD.org>. The port has not been
updated since I believe last February under the pretext that updating
it might somehow, someway, in some conceivable universe break something
in FreeBSD-9.0 which is presently not even being released as a stable
replacement for FreeBSD-8.2. And, assuming it did break something, I
would want to know it before I installed version 9.0 on a production
machine with the updated Bash. Interestingly enough, "openssl-1.0.0_8"
has been released. It would seem, at least to me, that the openssl
application would have a greater chance of breaking something before
Bash did. In any case, the maintainer has expressed his desire not to
update the port.

If you feel ambitious, you could just create a new local port for the
updated Bash version and install it. The basic Bash Makefile would be a
good starting point. If I had a spare machine to play with I would do it
myself.

--
Jerry ♔

Stone's Law: One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"