Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:14:48 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        grog@FreeBSD.ORG, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing old binaries

Thus spake M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>:
> In message: <20021008010442.GD57557@wantadilla.lemis.com>
>             "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : I think it confuses the issue rather than solving it.  We're talking
> : about removing binaries which are no longer needed, not replacing
> : binaries that are needed.
>
> I'd be cool with a file that's a list of files that we had in the
> system in the past, but are safe to delete.  NetBSD has a list of
> obsolete files, and it seems to work well there.  We can just have a
> set of rules for when to add to this.  List all the files that have
> had on a FreeBSD system since 2.0 or 3.0 to start.

That's an interesting idea.  If necessary, you could even make it
more general by associating a script with the removal of certain
components.  (That ought to solve complicated problems such as the
one Terry mentioned.)  Utilities don't turn over too quickly, so I
imagine a tool like that would be fairly easy to maintain.

I disagree with Greg about making it completely automagical by
default.  By default, the utility should try not to do anything
that the user might not expect.  People who want the fully
automated behavior can enable it with a few keystrokes, and if
something unexpected happens at that point, it's their problem.
Granted, if you're only looking for things that you *know* have
been removed, as opposed to ``anything that isn't in the source
tree right now'', you're less likely to step on something
important.