Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 12:17:54 -0700
From:      gregm@netidea.com
To:        "Carolyn Malic" <cmalic@ciaccess.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i saw your answer on mpc.lists.freebsd.questions....

Hi Carolyn,
I'm ccing this to the list in case someone can improve or correct
anything in my reply.
If you've rebuilt the kernel you might make sure the line for your
card reads:
device lnc0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr

> Then later on during the boot, when it is processing rc.conf, it will report
> "interface lnc0 does not exist" (or if i write lnc1 into rc.conf, it will
> like wise report "interface lnc1 does not exist").

I presume you the line in rc.conf you are refering to is:
network_interfaces="lo0 lnc1"
You should also see:
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"
You'll also need to add:
ifconfig_lnc1="inet your_ip netmask 255.255.255.0"

I hope some of this will help.
Greg.