Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2022 15:31:24 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Broadcom AERO SAS adapter: JBOD personality bug

Hi,

Hope someone from Broadcom is still lurking here ;)

I have seen a problem with a new Broadcom Aero SAS adapter on FreeBSD. I =
first detected it on TruNAS 12 but the
issue affects FreeBSD 13.1 as well.

The card came with RAID firmware installed (dealer fault, but with crazy =
delivery times now I am afraid we must swallow it)
but fortunately it has =E2=80=9CPersonalities=E2=80=9D.=20

So, if I set it up in =E2=80=9CJBOD personality=E2=80=9D it does behave =
like a plain HBA. Good!

However, I have noticed a problem in the JBOD personality. I am not sure =
whether it is a firmware bug, a design error
or  a problem with the mrsas driver although after a quick look at the =
source code I don=E2=80=99t think the driver can
solve this.

After a disk failure (for example, pulling a disk from the backplane) =
the controller will mark it as
UNCONFIGURED BAD. Which is a dead end that may require a system reboot =
or at least using a tool such as
StorCli (if it is possible, I haven=E2=80=99t verified that yet).

If this is a design decision I THINK THIS IS A MISTAKE. If the JBOD =
personality is equivalent to an HBA (it should
be!) the controller firmware should not interfere with decisions made by =
the operating system itself.

As for the mrsas driver, I am not sure, is there a possibility to add a =
tunable so that can ignore the =E2=80=9Cunconfigured badness=E2=80=9D
and proceed?=20

The controller is a Broadcom AERO 10E2
Firmware: 5.180.02-2512
NVDATA version: 5.1800.21-0642