Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 1996 10:01:57 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sup is broken?

Jordan wrote:

> PLEASE DON'T USE SUP.FREEBSD.ORG TO UPDATE YOURSELF!

Good evening, my name is John, and I use sup.freebsd.org to update
myself.

[ embarrassed applause from the other supaholics in the audience ]

Wow, I feel better already!

Jordan, I would be more than happy to switch to an alternate sup
server, if only the other ones would work worth a sh*t!

I have tried several times to use sup2 and other servers.  Each
time, it has caused me nothing but trouble.  Am I just lucky?

Last night, after reading your latest admonition against using
sup.freebsd.org, I tried again to use sup2.  As soon as it connected
up, it began systematically deleting the files in my sup tree,
shamelessly announcing each deletion as it went about its sordid
business.  To all appearances, it had the intention of deleting my
entire tree.  So I killed it, and once again went back to
sup.freebsd.org, which always works just fine for me, thank you.

When I try an experiment, and that experiment attempts to delete
220 MB of my files, I lose my thirst for adventure very quickly.
Nevertheless, if you or somebody else can give me some clue about
how to switch to a different sup server without losing all my
perfectly good files, I'll try again.