Date:      Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:11:09 +0200
From:      Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
To:        Jerry <cuoching@yahoo.com.tw>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why present different size and md5 hash  between the compiled code and FreeBSD's build-in binary ?

Jerry wrote:

> --- Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net> wroteˇG
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>you might be using different optimization flags than
>>the release
>>building cluster.
>>Also make sure that you have really the correct
>>sources, and not a newer
>>version from CVS.
>>

>Hi~ Andreas,
>
>I just used make command with default Makefile to
>build the binary,without change any gcc flag or
>option.
>And never go through the CVS to get newer source, by
>the way, my test platfrom is Release-5.2 on x86, Have
>you ever met this kind of situation? Whether
>compile "binary command" or "kernel code" ?
>
>Best Regards.
>Jerry

Hi,

if your source files are *exactly* the same versions used as on the
building cluster, and you have *exactly* the same compilation options,
it would still be possible to have different binaries. For example if
the files included some reference to the current time, either in some
flags in the generated .o, .a, .so, or perhaps in the source code of
auto-generated headers. Some paths referenced could also be different on
your system than on the build cluster.

In short: don't worry too much. It is normal.

--
Andreas
[PS: readded freebsd-hackers@ CC: -- please don't drop the list when