Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 17:04:15 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Studded <Studded@dal.net>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, dan@math.berkeley.edu, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: time for some new man pages

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > Is there a compelling reason to rename the frigging things?
>
> 	Actually I was wondering that myself. :)
> Doug

I'm going to add a "ME THREE"!

This is a gratuitous interface change.
IMHO, FreeBSD sysadmins don't give a rats ass that DA => direct access
and SA => sequential access.  Why does the user need to think of their
devices in this manner?  Other than to confuse people, what benefit or
extra capability did the name change give?  Hell lets just go to the SVR4
model of cXtYdZsU.

I'd really be interested in a survey about this change.  I'm willing to
bet that to most a SCSI disk is simply that a *S*CSI *D*isk.  FreeBSD has
now added yet one more incompatibility (or if you prefer, yet something
different, aka NIH) to the Unix world.

What ever happened to the policy of least supprise?

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)