Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:24:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: end of 3-stable support

Doug Barton <DougB@dougbarton.net> wrote:
 > [about breaking ports for 3.x people]

Along these lines, I recently stumbled across this little
annoyance when I had cvsupped /usr/ports on a 4.1-Release
machine:

   $ cd /usr/ports/net/rsync
   $ make
   Unknown modifier 'U'

   "Makefile", line 35: Malformed conditional (${USE_SSH:U} == YES)
   Unknown modifier 'U'

   "Makefile", line 35: Need an operator
   "Makefile", line 37: if-less endif
   "Makefile", line 37: Need an operator
   make.orig: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

When I looked at the Makefile, it seemed that it was
intentionally made incompatible with older versions of
make that don't know the "U" (uppercase) modifier:

   .if ${OSVERSION} >= 400016
   USE_SSH?=       yes
   .else
   USE_SSH?=       no
   .endif

   .if ${USE_SSH:U} == YES
   EXTRA_PATCHES=  ${FILESDIR}/ssh-patch-*
   .endif

I'm not complaining.  I know that it's not officially
supported to update the ports without also updating the
world to -stable (although it seems to be common).
Although I don't think it's a good idea to cause such
incompatibilities (apparently) intentionally.  The
uppercase/lowercase mixture and usage of the "U" modifier
in the above Makefile is completely superfluous, IMO.

Regards
   Oliver