Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:11:12 -0500
From:      Kevin Weiss <kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   xdm and painting the root window

I now have xdm working, not I'm just wondering how to customize it.

I want to change the background login screen (root window).  I checked
previous mailing list archives, and found references to using "xsetroot".
I tried "xsetroot -bitmap ....", but xdm-errors reported "bad bitmap file
format",
or something like that.

I also saw reference to using "xv" to do this.  However, it wasn't clear
(to me)
how to use "xv" with graphical file.  Does the graphical file have to be in
a certain
format (*.bmp, *.jpg, *.gif)?  In my case, it's a *.gif file.

Any recommendations? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Weiss
kevin.weiss@mail.utexas.edu