Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 15:44:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Michael Dorin <dorin@puma.chaski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please, please help me with my udma drive

On Sun, 18 Apr 1999, Michael Dorin wrote:

> Ok, a little more information.
>
> 1) Its not 19Gig, but 17Gig, here is what is shown on the screen at
> boot time:  D0 IBM-DJNA 371800 LBA 17206 Ultra DMA 4 or something like that.

The bios displays this? or FreeBSD?  I assume because of what you have below
that it's the bios displaying it.

> 2) a little of the boot:
> fdc0 at 0xdf0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 4
> fdc0: fifo...
> wdc0 not found at 0x1f0
> blah blah
>
> then the install screen comes up, I select novice, and it says
> NO DISK DRIVES FOUND

Ok, taking a wild guess, you don't have the drive jumpered properly.

The IDE bus is a bit odd, I've seen the BIOS detect a drive but
FreeBSD unable to locate it because the jumpers were set incorrectly.

please double check that you have the drive jumpered properly.

If this still doesn't solve your problem I'm a bit at a loss.

You may also want to try to turn off LBA mode in the bios if possible.

Also, what version of FreeBSD are you trying to install?  Versions older
than about 6 months (i think) have trouble with very large IDE drives.

-Alfred